Review: The Girl From Everywhere | Piracy, Thievery, Dragons and Maps - HOW COULD I NOT LOVE IT??

Wednesday, April 13, 2016
If you can believe it, I almost didn't pick this one up! It's one of the cases where ALL the bloggers are so hyped up for the a book, that it actually drove me away! But Netgalley is a deep cavern of temptation, and I couldn't help myself! And just let me tell you, I can't even express how glad I am that I read this! I know this review is LONG overdue (sorry, Hotkeys!) but I can't imagine a better book to help me lose that laziness induced by a long hiatus.

Nix has spent her entire life aboard her father’s ship, sailing across the centuries, across the world, across myth and imagination.

As long as her father has a map for it, he can sail to any time, any place, real or imagined: nineteenth-century China, the land from One Thousand and One Nights, a mythic version of Africa. Along the way they have found crewmates and friends, and even a disarming thief who could come to mean much more to Nix.

But the end to it all looms closer every day.

Her father is obsessed with obtaining the one map, 1868 Honolulu, that could take him back to his lost love, Nix’s mother. Even though getting it—and going there—could erase Nix’s very existence.

For the first time, Nix is entering unknown waters.

She could find herself, find her family, find her own fantastical ability, her own epic love.

Or she could disappear.

Let me say this straight off: THE IDEA BEHIND THIS BOOK IS FREAKING FABULOUS. I adore it. I admire it. I wallow in its absolute beauty. Time travel, in my mind, is possibly the best fictional idea anyone has ever come up with. The way Heidi Heilig incorporates time travel into this book, with its amazing maps and Navigation and rules...I LOVE IT. 

I found our protagonist, Nix, a bit meh, but that's okay because KASH and THE CAPTAIN and THE LITTLE DRAGON. Also KASH. I need a Kash. He's a Persian, devil-may-care, shameless thief, and possibly my favourite character in the book. I ship him with Nix SO HARD. No contest.

Speaking of which, there is a bit of a love triangle. I firmly believe that the book could do without it, especially since the other love interest, while charming, pales absolutely in comparison to Kash.

The setting, a historical Hawaii, was lush and beautiful and described so beautifully! I LOVE unusual settings, and now Hawaii is definitely added to the list of countries that I need to visit. Heidi Heilig's writing style is very pretty, and words just flow off the page.

And also my favourite part of the book: PIRACY. Pirates are definitely a trend this year, what with Blackhearts and Passenger(?), but I am NOT complaining. There is a reason "Pirates of the Caribbean" is one of my favourite movies of ever. (Captain Jack Sparrow, anyone??) 

I also loved the mythical aspect of this book, what with the caladrius and pocket-sized dragon, and I loved how the author had mixed different kinds of mythology into a beautiful, magical, flavourful story.

The book was a bit draggy in places. This is something I see quite a lot of people complaining about, and it's a complaint not unfounded. Sometimes while I was reading I just wished there was more fast-paced action (which I am a HUGE fan of), especially in the middle. I like my books with suspenseful action that makes my heart beat faster, but The Girl From Everywhere didn't fulfil my all my expectations on that account.

I wish Nix could've been a more colourful character. I mean I like the racial diversity, and I like her spunk, but I think she's very plain compared to all the other fabulous side characters. If it weren't for her relationship with the other characters (particularly Kash and her father), I'd find Nix extremely boring, to be honest

But all that aside, I can definitely see what all the hype was about! The Girl From Everywhere is a wonderful tale of family, friendship, magic, time travel and pirates, and it's written so prettily, it's hard not to fall in love with Nix's world, and I'm beyond excited to see what Heidi will do with the next book!

The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Release date: Feb 16th 2016
Genre: Fantasy, Time Travel
*Thank you, Hotkeys and Netgalley for the eARC!*


so how did YOU like The Girl From Everywhere? do you think it deserves the hype?? are you planning on reading it? how AMAZING is Kash??!! and the dragon?? and the MAPS? and 19th century hawaii?  i need to learn how to Navigate...

No comments:

Post a Comment