Ten Deliciously Amazing Books I Read This Year

Tuesday, December 15, 2015
top ten tuesday graphic
ANNOUNCEMENT: I, Ranu, proud owner of The Araliya Bookshelf, will herewith start doing TTT posts! Now there's a shocker for you. Now, before my nerdlings get too excited (or disappointed - I know memes aren't everyone's cuppa tea) I might skip some week's prompts, because I am a lazy mango and I'm *gasp* not that good with lists. (I know, I know, what kind of person is bad at lists? Well...me, I guess.)

So, here goes my first TTT in a looong time (forgive me if I'm a bit rusty at this):

Prompt For The Week: Top Ten Best Books I Read In 2015 (In the order of which I read them. Roughly. I have the memory of a goldfish.)

red queen cover

#1. Red Queen.

I went into this blind. All I knew about the book was that there was a lot of hype, almost everyone seemed to love it, there was this "big betrayal" and that it had a gorgeous cover. Yep, that's it. You'll forgive me if I was looking for a bit of Alice In Wonderland. (Because, come on, RED QUEEN?! Who doesn't immediately think of the Queen of Hearts?). Anyway, although it turned out to be very different from what I was expecting, I LOVED it. 

an ember in the ashes sabaa tahir cover

#2. An Ember In The Ashes

The only reason I even picked this up was to see what the hype was about. Fantasy wasn't really my thing, all the way back in January (I know, I know, shame on me. But don't worry, I HAVE REPENTED NOW). I didn't like the cover all that much, either (so what if I'm a cover snob? We all have our weaknesses!). But everyone adored it so much, and even Emily May gave it a five-star rating on Goodreads. How could I resist it then? 

the winner's curse book cover

#3. The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime

Okay, so I'm cheating with this one since it's two books, but I love them both so much, and I didn't want to fill precious space in this list. I actually wasn't sure about these two, because opinion was strongly divided, and I was SO worried I would get bored like some other people did. But no!! I read it, I loved it, and I CANNOT wait for The Winner's Kiss. Also, yes, I'm using the old covers. Sorry, but the new ones make me want to hit my head repeatedly against a wall.

crown of midnight sarah j maas cover

#4. Crown of Midnight.

So I should probably include Throne of Glass here, too, but I won't be honest if I classify it as one of the "best" books I read this year. The only reason I started the series was because it was just 0.99 on Amazon, and I wanted to know what the hype was about. But whatever was missing in ToG, Crown of Midnight made up for it and more. I'm so scared to read Heir of Fire because CHAOL IS MY PRECIOUS AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM HURT.


#5. The Weight of Feathers

Anna Marie-McLemore's writing is AMAZING and MAGICAL, and TWOF was an equally amazing and magical debut. Cluck and Lace are SO shippable, and I can't tell you how glad I am that I read this, because it really broadened my view of magical realism.

the sky is everywhere cover

#6. The Sky Is Everywhere

Reason I picked up the book: the hype. (See a pattern here?). Sometimes, hype can drive people away. But me? It just makes me curious. I NEED to see what all the fuss is about. And so I read the Sky Is Everywhere. And I laughed. And cried. And banged my head repeatedly on a desk (no, not really, but I would've if a desk was available.) Best contemporary of the year, for me.

into the still blue veronica rossi us cover

#7. Into The Still Blue

Veronica Rossi's Under The Never Sky trilogy is beautiful, and Into The Still Blue was a perfect conclusion to the series. I loved how far all the characters have come; Perry, Aria, Roar. They've all gone through such extensive character development, and this was a stunning end to a much-loved series.

illuminae amy kaufman jay kristoff cover

#8. Illuminae

I have to admit, I was slightly let down by the hype for this one, but I still loved it! I just didn't get as emotional as everyone claimed to be while reading this. Maybe because of the weird formatting? But while I didn't laugh all that much or cry at all, my heart was still pounding, and the book had an amazing storyline, and it's quite beautiful. Hats off to the authors, because they really did do an amazing job.

six of crows leigh bardugo cover

#9. Six of Crows

SoC was my first taste of Leigh Bardugo, and I LOVED IT. The heist, the characters, the intriguing plotline. I wasn't let down by the hype for this AT ALL. It fulfilled ALL expectations and Crooked Kingdom can't arrive fast enough. 

shadow and bone leigh bardugo cover

#10. Shadow and Bone

After SoC, I knew I HAD to get my hands on more of Leigh Bardugo's writing. And now, I can proudly tell you that I am now an avid Leigh Bardugo fangirl. I am IN LOVE with her writing style and the Grishaverse. I kind of had this spoiled for me, because everyone was obsessed with The Darkling, and also those comparisons to Red Queen. But I loved it anyway.

what do you think of my sudden decision to start top ten tuesdays again? do you like it? hate it? be honest! also, what are the mind-blowing amazing books YOU read this year? do you agree with my picks?

No comments:

Post a Comment