Review: Generation (A Not-So-Fantastic End To The Imitation Trilogy)

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Generation by Heather Hildenbrand
Publisher: Alloy Entertainment
Release date: Oct 13th 2015
Genres: Science Fiction
*Thanks to Netgalley for the eARC given in exchange for an honest review*

HELLO!! Miss me? Yeah, I know I've been terribly inactive lately, and I'm so sorry. I wish I can tell you that I've been too busy, but unfortunately, I was just plain lazy. BUT, I will shake myself out of this lazy funk, get on the bandwagon again, I promise you. 

So anyway, here's my long overdue review of Generation, Book #3 of the Clone Chronicles trilogy, and I'm sorry to say that it didn't live up to its expectations. Let's take a look at why, shall we?


So, firstly, character development. When you get this far into a series, it's not enough to keep your characters at the level they were in where the previous book left off. I may sound like a greedy character-loving snob, but I WANT MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

Ben actually had good development, I will admit. I saw how she had changed a LOT since Book #1, but it's not really her I'd like to complain about.

I'd like to complain about all the other characters.
  • Linc. I SAW ZERO DEVELOPMENT IN HIM. I was very disappointed with his character in Book #2, and I was really, really, really  hoping that his personality would pick up in Generation, but no. If anything, he was even flatter and MORE useless than in Deviation. I want development. I want to see more sides of Linc. What I got was a cutout character, flat as paper and tasteless as cardboard (not that, you know, I've ever tasted cardboard.)
  • Daniel. I was hugely pleased with his development in Deviation, but in Generation? He was as interesting as Linc. Like I said, you don't just drop characters where you left them off. You need to pick them up AND GIVE THEM SOME DEEPER FACET TO THEIR PERSONALITY, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE. (Sorry to get so hyped up. I was just SERIOUSLY expecting better stuff from this book.)
  • Obadiah. Okay, so I actually liked Obi in this one. His relationship with Ven really grew, and it was terribly cute, so I'm going to spare Obi my wrath.
  • Melanie. Nope, nope, nope. Not even going to go there. I won't spoil anything but, JUST NO.

And now the plot. Both Imitation and Deviation, for all their faults, kept me in suspense. Those were the type of books that made you hold your breath without even realising it. Even if Linc was boring in Deviation, even if Ven made terrible decisions, the PLOT kept me reading.

In Generation? The one thing that I thought I could count on let me down. I don't know what happened to the intriguing plot line and exciting writing style. I don't know where all that excitement vanished to. But it certainly wasn't there in this book. Maybe I've "grown out" of the series, but I felt like there were some things missing in Book #3.

The time lapse between the second and third book was confusing. There were places in the plot which made me impatient for something to happen. And when something DID happen, it didn't pack the punch the way the other books did.

The only reason this book didn't get a lower rating than it did was because I was too find of the author's writing style to hate it completely.


An okay read, but the fact that it didn't blow me away completely like was expecting it to hugely disappointed me. I saw very little character development, the plot felt slow, and the romance is almost not worth mentioning because it was as interesting as a piece of wood. I'm very underwhelmed, but if you're curious about what happens after Deviation, go ahead and try it. If not, it's better not to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment