7 Reasons Why I Love Reading (And Why You Should, Too!)

Monday, August 3, 2015

I love reading. (Wait, you already knew that? What could have possibly given me away?). But seriously, I LOVE reading. I love reading in a way that only a fellow booknerd would understand. I love reading in a way that I would rather lock myself up in a small dark room forEVER than live in a world without books. Drastic, but true. So WHY?, you ask. What would be so attractive about  reading? Reading is just... reading.

Woah, wait. Reading is just reading? Let me tell you, all non-readers, that is no "is just" about reading. I'm going to tell you exactly why reading can give you the most unique, exciting experience ever, in one short(ish) list.

1. Reading helps you deal with normal.

WHAT? Deal with normal? When are you going to start making sense?!

Okay, so let me explain. First off, normal is overrated (and yes, I pretty sure I saw that in a book somewhere, too, except I can't remember which one). Normal means everyday life. Normal means waking up in the morning, going to work/school, coming back home, relaxing, going to sleep, waking up the in morning again, and on and on and on. When you dive into a book, it's a whole new reality* and it takes you away from everyday life. The new world in your head takes the place of your everyday one.

*And for those who want to snub me about the fact that I just called fictional worlds realities:
Source: http://sweatpantsandcoffee.com

2. Reading helps you empathise.

This is undeniable. I don't think any of us can really say that we've been thrown into an arena to kill or be killed by twenty-two teenagers who are out for our blood. (Wait, you have? My sincere condolences). But all of us who have read The Hunger Games understand Katniss's situation. When we read, not only can we picture ourselves in the place of the main character, but we are the main character. This also ties in with #1.

3. You meet a whole load of people you wish existed in real life



Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Daniel Altan Wing, Peeta Mellark, Hermione Granger, Katniss Everdeen, Hazel Grace Lancaster and June Iparis are only a few characters on my wishlist. And the best part is, you don't love them because they're perfect. You love them because they are all so beautifully flawed, just like any other human being. 

Note: Don't blame me if your thoughts about these characters are near-obsessive, though. Blame the authors.

4. OTPs will give you pain, but they will also fill you with tremendous feels and warm fuzzies.


Best. Feeling. Ever.

5. Cliffhanger endings are like bungee jumping, only safer. They give you the thrill and the horror, all in the safety of your couch.

#shocked
No, really. I still haven't decided whether cliffhangers are the best or the worst. If you're looking for some good thrills, you should really read ALL of Rick Riordan's books.

Kudos to you if you know which book this is from!
6. The action of opening up a brand new book gives you a feeling like no other.

Do I even need to explain?

7. And finally, the Internet is filled with lovely, like-minded folks who also love reading, and won't mind fangirling with you in the slightest!


So, THAT, my dear readers (and non-readers), is why EVERYONE should find reading as awesome as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment