I Hate It When Everyone Loves A Book That's A Movie

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Most of the time, when I read a really great book that I absolutely love. I want to shout out my absolute adoration to the world and shove the book down everyone's throats and demand that they read it. I will not rest until every being on the planet has read the awesomeness which is that particular book BECAUSE IT DESERVES EVERYONE'S UNCONDITIONAL WORSHIP. (This is how I feel half the time)

But, sometimes, when I read a book that is so amazingly, perfectly incredible that it melts my brain with its sacred AMAZINGNESS, I am fiercely, irrationally overprotective of it. I would definitely book push it on my fellow booknerds, but the muggles non-bookworms?  I DON'T WANT THEM NEAR MY PRECIOUS BABY. This is probably the most irrational thing to EVER feel, and it's also selfish, because I would be denying the general populace of the pleasure of the book. BUT. I can't seem to help it.

Take Legend, for instance. I know the book has its faults, but I love it and will defend it by whatever means necessary and if that means going after you with a kitchen knife, so be it. (Just kidding. I think). And I know, that when the movie comes out next year (YAY. OHMIGOD I HOPE THE CAST IS GOOD), everyone will be rushing to bookshops to get their copies. (After watching the movie. Pagans.) 

And I don't know if that makes me bratty or silly or irrational, I DON'T WANT THAT HAPPENING. Obviously, I want the author to make money with the sales (I HEART MARIE LU), but still, I can't stand the thought of all those unbelievers non-readers gushing about how Legend was so awesome, because OBVIOUSLY IT WAS AWESOME, BUT YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY PLAYING VIDEO GAMES TO ACTUALLY GO READ THE BOOK OR EVEN TBR IT. (Do you non-bookish people even know what TBR is?).

When I hear non-bookworms rave about a book after watching the movie, I get JEALOUS. I don't want them gushing about my darling book when they didn't even give it a second glance before. I don't WANT to share. I want to lock myself up with all the other true booknerds and every single copy of Legend ever printed in a soundproof hall, and keep away the heathens non-readers.

So, what do YOU think? Am I being irrational? Is it really fair to get annoyed with a certain group of people who really did nothing wrong except be born without an innate love of books (Freaks.)? Is it okay that I feel this way? Do YOU feel this way? (Please, God, let me not be the only one). TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.


No comments:

Post a Comment