Review: Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Shattered Blue by Lauren Horowitz
Publisher: Skyscape
Release date: September 15th 2015
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
*Thank you Netgalley for the review copy sent to me in exchange of an honest review*





Shattered Blur follows the story of Noa, whose twin sister, Isla, recently died. What is it with all this death? When Noa meets Callum, a mysterious boy (aren't they always mysterious), she finds out that he is (surprise, surprise!) not human. He is the son of the King of the Fae, Banished to the human realm. When Callum's brother, Judah turns up in the human world, everything goes to chaos. Callum is kidnapped, and Noa ropes Judah into helping her save Callum. But the lines of betrayal run deep, and everything is not as it seems (I've always wanted to say that).


The characters are amazingly complex and three-dimensional. At first, you think you know them. Noa, the grief-stricken twin sister. Callum, the mysterious, alluring other-wordly Good Guy. Judah, the broken, devil-may-care Bad Brother. But all three of them are so, so, much more than that. I can't explain without spoiling the book, but if you think (like I did) that they're a bit boring at first, just hang on until the end!

The plot is deep and complicated. For the first quarter of the book, it seemed like any other urban fantasy with the usual tropes like girl meets boy, boy is some paranormal creature, boy likes girl, etc. But halfway through, things got a LOT better and really, really, unpredictable. I love it when authors can manage to surprise you over and over again, just when you think you've read it seen it all.

The romance is jaw-dropping and conflicting. Okay, I'm going to warn you...there is a love triangle. If you hate it when the MC jumps ship, you might not like it. But I like love triangles if they are well-executed, and absolutely adore them if they really build up the development of the characters like in this book. In this case, it is amazingly conflicting and I really can't wait to see how Noa's choice will define her.

The ending. Oh, that cliffhanger left me wanting to scream. I think it's incredibly unfair of authors to pull cliffhangers at the end of the first books in a series, because WE DESERVE A NICE, WRAPPED UP ENDING. Unfortunately for me, I hate to love these kinds of endings, but I love them anyway, no matter how much I might deny it.


The beginning. The beginning was slow. I like books that start off with a bang, the type that grabs you with the first paragraph, or at least, page. With Shattered Blue, that didn't happen. Noa was still in the stages of grieving over Isla, and I was all, YAWN! I know that makes me sound terrible, but I didn't know Isla, and Noa's grief didn't really strike me. That's why I hate it when a book begins with a character who has suffered the death of someone they love. I want to be a part of their grief and understand them. but I can't because I barely know them. Cut that. I don't know them at all. Yeah, I'm masochistic like that.

The characters could have developed faster. Noa and Callum didn't develop fast enough for me in the first half of the book. I found their interactions bland and didn't really see much chemistry. Although I found out the reason for that later.

Shattered Blue was a good read. The book started a bit slowly and it took me a while to become engaged in the story, but the fast-paced action, shocking plot twists and amazing character arcs in the latter half made it well worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment