Exam Stress, Reading Ban, And Some Mini Reviews!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Hi guys! It's THAT time of school term again. Yes, the time which is filled with anxiety, stress, tiredness and overall misery. End-of-term tests start next week, and I have LOADS of lessons to study.

Although I have put myself on a three-week reading-ban, I WILL be updating my blog now and again through the next few weeks and responding to comments, as usual and maybe even launch my first book blogger interview, featuring the first blogger to sign up for it, Konstantina @ The Reading Armchair.

That being said, here are some mini reviews .Click on the cover to be taken to their Goodreads pages. (The reviews with asterisks were given to me for review. That fact does not affect my judgement in any way):


*Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall

Although I wouldn't rave about this book like some people did, I will still say that this book was pretty good and the issue that surrounds the plot is a serious one, and let me tell you, the issue is not about eating disorders. It's about one very important problem in school life: bullying. This issue was portrayed very realistically and I really felt for Sugar. I understood her and her situation, although I've never been in those situations myself. The characters were well-developed, but I'd have liked them to be a tad bit more three-dimensional. The plot is a bit slow at first, I have to admit, and it took several tries for me to get into the book, but once I did, I really started enjoying it. I liked that the book did not revolve solely on the romance although I did love Even.
Rating: 3/5 stars


Making It Big by Lyndsay Russell

This was a hilarious satirical novel about today's obsession with staying thin. I loved Sharon, our protagonist, who was very easy to identify with. Her characterization was fantastic, and very relatable. The side characters were also amazing and well-developed. One thing I didn't like was that the plot dragged in some places and I was forced to skip pages (yes, I do that), but all in all, it was a good book.
Rating: 3/5 stars



The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This is the type of book you either love or hate, depending on what type of person you are. For some people, the abundantly vivid descriptions would be a literary paradise, while others would find the truckload of detail to be a headache. For me, it was somewhere in between. I do like a good description, but not so much that it takes you away from the action. The plot is woven very intricately, with confusing jumps in the timelines. It all comes together in the end, of course, but to read the book in that way was difficult. There are actually two stories told in this book. they complete each other in the end, but again. it was tedious reading. I highly recommend this for people who fall in love with lyrical, descriptive writing and an intricate, almost messy plot. If you don't like that kind of thing, you will most likely not enjoy this at all.
Rating: 4/5

*Into A Million Pieces by Angela V. Cook

Admittedly the main reason I requested this on Netgalley was because the blurb mentioned twins. Don't be judgemental because I seriously used to love twin stories (The Bobbsey Twins, Twin's At St. Clare's, etc). I've always wondered what it was like to have a twin when I was younger, and apparently I haven't grown out of that yet. Anyway, this book was quite interesting, though I did see similarities to Rachel Higginson's Siren series. The characters were okay and the plot too, although I found it a bit weird. What I loved most about this book was the ending. It wasn't a HEA (Happily Ever After), but it still wrapped up things nicely and it was...different from what I've read before in YA.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

So that's it for now and I'll try very hard to post something, anything during exams. Have a nice wee, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment