Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Monday, May 4, 2015
Hardcover, 320 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by Orion
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win? 


With all the hype surrounding this book, I couldn't wait to read this. When my beautiful hardcover copy arrived, I could barely hold in my excitement. It feels good to say that the book definitely lived up to my expectations. Here's why:

The world-building and description. I love the world which Victoria Aveyard has created. Everything is described so well, you really get the feeling that you are actually present in the happenings of the novel. With this book, you feel the desperation and destitution in the Stilts and the sharply contrasting luxury and beauty of the Silver palace. I love the descriptive, flowing writing. It was gorgeous.

Mare. She had her faults, but I couldn't help but sympathize with her. She was reckless, impulsive and not too clever, but I still liked her.

Cal and Maven. Here we have  our love interests. I loved, loved, loved how the author wove a complex, tight and heartwarming relationship between Cal, Maven and Mare.

The romance. Something that I especially loved about this book was the fact that there was very little romance and more action. But, when it comes to the little bit that was there, it was written wonderfully, and I absolutely fangirl over it. Oh my gosh I SHIPPED MARE AND MAVEN SO HARD!  VICTORIA AVEYARD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME??!! I'm not going to say why I'm so agitated over this, because that would be spoiling the book, but AARGH MARE/MAVEN SO NEEDED TO HAPPEN.


The PLOT.  Oh, my goodness. It twists and turns in ways I didn't even think was possible. The excitement and intrigue kept getting better and better as the book progressed.

Who do I recommend this book for?
Red Queen is a dystopian book with touches of fantasy. There is mystery, romance, magic, and betrayal. The characters are well-developed, and the plot is wonderful. If you're wondering if the book deserves the hype, then I say, yes, it does. Go read it!

Final reaction:

No comments:

Post a Comment