Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Saturday, May 23, 2015
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Publisher: Speak
Publication date: April 6th 2010
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance
In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. 




This review is hard to write. I don't know why. I loved this, just like so many other people had, but I still can't put my feelings into words on this. It's just so... unexpected. I actually opened this up thinking the book was somewhere along the lines of The Fault In Our Stars; quirky characters, cute romance and tear-jerker scenes. If you think so, believe me...it's not. This is not a book about "social issues" or "teen problems". Actually, I would hardly classify this as romance.

I really loved all the characters. Mia, Adam, her mother, father, Kim and even Nurse Ramirez. They were so very real, three-dimensional and well-rounded. Although Mia made a few silly decisions, I still liked her. And Adam...the hospital scene melted my heart!

I suppose what I loved best about this book was the way it was told. Gayle Forman juggles bits of the past and Mia's current situation perfectly!  Usually, when a story is told in this style, it's kind of jarring for me, but in If I Stay, Mia's memories and past incidents melded beautifully with what was happening right then and there.

All in all, If I Stay was a heart-warming tale of a girl with a big decision to make. It's amazing how this book makes you feel and the thoughts that are left with you when you turn the final page. This book was definitely worth the read, and a real gift to realistic fiction.



No comments:

Post a Comment