Series Review: Under The Never Sky Trilogy by Veronica Rossi

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Under the Never Sky: Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive. A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption.

Through the Ever Night: It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Into the Still Blue: The earth-shattering conclusion to Veronica Rossi's epic Under the Never Sky trilogy. Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to bring balance to their world.


*This review contains no spoilers whatsoever (I promise)*


So, recently I won a giveaway for $10 (thank you, Sarah Dalton!) and bought the third book of the Under The Never Sky trilogy, Into the Still Blue. Since I'd forgotten everything that happened in the previous books, I decided to re-read the first two. I was so captivated by this that I didn't want to spoil the book-binge by writing reviews in between so I thought I would write a review for the entire series together like this!


To start off, if I wanted to sum the whole book up in one word, it'd be "beautiful". Beautiful characters, beautiful writing, beautiful world-building.

When the trilogy first starts out, Perry and Aria, our protagonists, are bitter enemies. I loved, loved, loved how their relationship evolved from calling each other Mole and Savage to forging an inseparable bond. I finished reading the third book, remembered how they couldn't stand each other in the first one, and laughed.

Perry is so absolutely wonderful. His character development throughout the series was amazing. He learns what it's like to be a leader, to earn respect and trust from his peers. He is also perfectly flawed. He's impulsive, close-minded, and a doubting Thomas, but in spite of it all, he truly is a beautiful, awe-inspiring character.

I also loved how far Aria developed as a character. She went from a snivelling, dependent girl to a young woman who is incredibly strong, kick-butt, a leader and completely able to hold her own against anything.

Now, take those two fantastic characters, put them together in a relationship, and what do you get? BOOM! A beautiful, deep, honest, tear-inducing, explosive romance. Am-a-ZING.

Roar. Please excuse me while I try to get over my love for Roar. Also perfectly flawed, perfectly built, and perfectly snarky. There's always a side character who grabs your heart and refuses to let go of it, and Roar is one of them.

The plot was a enthralling, exquisite, exciting thrill ride. It was...let's say it together...BEAUTIFUL.

...and the world-building? I can't express in words how much I love the world that Veronica Rossi has created.

"A world of nevers under a never sky."

Before I read Under The Never Sky, I'd never thought of any book as beautiful. I didn't think that it was a fitting word for a novel. But beautiful was what this series was. One of my all-time favourites. This book is not a must-read. It's READ-THIS-OR-ELSE-YOU'LL-SPEND-THE-REST-OF-YOUR-LIFE-WITH-A-PART-OF-YOUR-SOUL-MISSING read.

Who do I recommend it for?
EVERYONE. Okay, so maybe that's a bit too wide, so let's narrow it down:
People who like:
-Beautiful characters
-Funny, snarky, heart-warming side characters
-An amazing plot
-Wonderful world building
-Complex villains
-Dystopia
-Reading
-Books in general

Final reaction:

Final series rating:
EDIT: I was just going through the Goodreads reviews and was surprised by all the hate on this series, especially the first book. Some of the most common complaints I saw were: slow start, wimpy female lead, unrealistic romance and plot holes. If you are one of those people who decided not to continue in the series because of those reasons, please just let me tell you one thing: IT GETS BETTER. I promise! Aria develops marvellously, everything (including the Aether) is explained and as for the romance being unrealistic, well, come on! This is YA! When was the last time you knew anyone who married their first love (The Hunger Games)? Or fell for a bad boy and the relationship actually worked out (The DUFF)? Or liked a guy who actually watched her in her sleep (Twilight)? Or loved the girl who killed his mother (Legend)? I could go on forever... 
Bottom line, please give this series a try.

8 comments:

  1. I have bought Under the Never Sky so long ago, I almost forgot about it! Thank you for reminding, your review makes me believe that it's amazing :)

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks so amazing, I think I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I adored the series?

      Delete
  3. This series sounds so good - thank you for recommending it!! (I also appreciated the no spoilers warning. That was cute!)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to reread the first book! I tried reading it a while back and DNFed it because I was in a reading slump! Everyone loves them, though! Awesome review!


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! It's a bit of a slow start, but the series is worth a second try! :)

      Delete