If Authors Wrote Characters Specifically For Me

Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Art by Burdge Bug
Characters are so very important in books. For some people, the protagonist can make or break a book. Writing characters can be hard. They need to be believable, likeable, three-dimensional, relatable and flawed just to the right extent (no-one likes a Mary Sue, but making your character act like Hitler isn't going to win you points).





But those are just general rules. If an author was writing a book tailored just for me, here are the traits which I would like to see:

1. A character with snarky/sarcastic nature. Oh, I love characters who bring on the snark! Authors just have to learn not to overdo it, because it might make the character become unlikable. 
Perfect example: The Doctor. Okay, he's from a TV show, but still a fictional character! No matter if he's the First or the Twelfth, he still hangs on to that sarcasm.

Another example: Katy Swartz from The Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout.

"...this was one of the first times that he was acting...normal. Yeah, talking about zombies probably wasn't the biggest step known to mankind, but it was something."

2. A male character who is arrogant, but still likeable. That's a very hard one, but some people manage it!
Example: Sherlock from the BBC Sherlock (sorry for the TV show characters, but I'm feeling unexpectedly devoted to Steven Moffat today.)



3. Loyal characters. I love character who stay true to their friends and/or family.
Examples:  Daniel Altman Wing (Day) from Legend by Marie Lu. Katniss Everdeen. Percy Jackson. Harry Potter. Grover Underwood. James Castairs from The Infernal Devices. Newt from The Maze Runner. Basically, characters from the best (YA) books ever written.

4. A reckless, impulsive character. This may seem a bit weird to like, but I find this quality very endearing in characters. Eg: Percy Jackson, Alex from the Covenant series by Jennifer Armentrout.

5. A strong female character like June Iparis, Annabeth Chase, Katniss Everdeen, etc.
Image from Deviantart. Created by the-scissor-project.
6. An anti-hero. MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER TYPE! Adeline Amouteru, Artemis Fowl, I'm looking at you.

So there you go. Those are the traits that I love seeing in characters. How about you? What do you like most about certain characters?

12 comments:

  1. I love Artemis Fowl! I just do, no matter how many years passed since I finished the series. As for a loyal character, I would definitely add Sam from The Lord of the Rings. And yes, The Doctor and Sherlock are amazing too. Great post!

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogpost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hate me, but I've not read LOTR yet. *cringes at the protests of the ardent fans* But I certainly hope I can read it one day and add Sam to my list of favourite characters!:)

      Delete
  2. Great list. I agree with a lot of these. I like intelligent characters and characters who don’t take themselves too seriously.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of them. ALL OF THEM! Awesome list!

    Cee @ The Mistress Case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love 'em all?! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I definitely agree that characters need to be flawed. I like arrogant characters like Celeana from Throne of Glass - there's something about them that just makes me smile.
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's also weird how they can get you to root for them, even thought they're so cocky!

      Delete
  5. Loyalty makes me respect a character 10 times more. I also love a sarcastic character! They provide great comic relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of the hilarious books I've read include a sarcastic character! Gotta love the snark! :)

      Delete
  6. This list is awesome!! Good idea and I agree with you on every single point! (:

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete