Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of a man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush, who calls Bianca the Duff - the designated ugly fat friend - of her crew.But things aren't so great at home and Bianca, desperate for a distraction, ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a secret enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.Until it all goes horribly wrong. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


....Aaand I'm back! Yay! It feels sooo good not to be worrying about studying. Instead, I am now brooding over marks. How wonderful!
But seriously, it's fantastic to be back to blogging again. Why didn't I start this earlier?! So this will be my first post-exam, stress-free review.

*Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I hadn't even heard about this until they announced the movie, and once they did, of course I thought to myself, you have absolutelt got to read it before you see it (as any self-respecting bookworm would do). I am SO thrilled to review this one. So let's get on with it. What did I think of it?

Well, to start off, I loved the authenticity of Bianca's voice. It just felt so realistic. There was no flowery language, no skirting around facts. It's told as it is. I don't think I ever spotted a simile in the whole book. And I liked it. Kody Keplinger's style reminds me very much of Judy Blume. The characters always had this wry, matter-of-fact voice.

Also, the plot! It was amazing! I don't know what it was about that book, but I was hooked from Chapter 2! I almost never find a contemporary romance this gripping, but that exciting urge to know what happens just hit me with full force. The ending was kind of predictable, but it's one of those endings where you know what's going to happen, but you still NEED to read it anyway to make sure.

The development in Wesley and Bianca's relationship was fantastic. The author took her time with this. Bianca is very slowly introduced to Wesley's life and the deeper parts of his character, and it was artfully done at just the right pace.

Who do I recommend it for?
This is no light, fluffy teen romance. It deals with some pretty serious issues, and was actually the last thing I expected. Even if you don't normally go for contemporary romance or realistic fiction (like me), this is one book you have to try.

Final reaction:
Oh, yes.
Final rating:

6 comments:

  1. I need to read this book! I loved how how you said that there is no light and fluffy romance. I prefer when the romance is more real. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like it when the romance is more real, too. But sometimes I'm a sucker for fairy-tale love stories! :)

      Delete
  2. I still need to read this!! I've heard so many great things! Great review!!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you get to read it soon :)

      Delete
    2. Glad you liked The Duff. It was one of my favorite books the year it came out. It made me a fan of Kody. Keep reading her books... they're all good.

      Delete
    3. I hope I can get my hands on the other books! :)

      Delete