Review: Destroyed (Soulkeepers #2) by L. A. Starkey

Monday, March 2, 2015
The seal has been broken and the Soul Keeper Prophecy set in motion. Marcus and Nicolas are battling for the heart of one woman, Pandora’s only daughter; however, not everyone is playing by the rules. With interference from both sides of the lines and too many deities with hidden agendas, the trio must take matters into their own hands and look for another ending, one that removes control from fate. Can they find the missing page from the prophecy that has the ability to change everything? Will the new stranger they’ve been given as a guide assist or mislead them?Will Samantha make a decision on who it is that she truly loves, saving one and destroying the other? What if her choice is no choice at all?


*Note: I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After that massive cliffhanger in Deceived (you can read my review for it here), I could not wait to get my hands on Destroyed. I had high hopes that this novel would be as engaging and exciting as the previous one. Unfortunately, that was not so. I really hate to give a negative review to a book series I thought had so much potential, but it can't be helped.

The characters. Ugh. I thought I loved them all, but no. Not this time. Sam was just so narcisstic. That thing with Ken, meeting Stephanie, Marc and Nick. In all of those moments, I didn't like her.
Sam was a little surprised, realizing that she may have misjudged Stephanie, not all girls had an agenda oe were in competition against one another.
I hated this line. How dare she be so assuming and haughty? I couldn't relate to her at all.
And Marcus was almost as bad. When he wasn't wallowing in self-pity, he was angsting over Sam. The only person who remained at least a little likable was Nick, which is surprising because I liked Marcus better in Deceived.

The pacing. It was so. Darn. Slow. The story lingers in unnecassary places, especially scenes with Aphrodite, who was by far the most hateable character in the book.

The plot. While Deceived kept me on my toes, urging me to turn the pages, Destroyed was nothing like it. The plot didn't move fast enough, and there were barely any twists that  surprised me. Half the book involved either Sam and Marcus lamenting over the love triangle, or one of the gods reflecting on what a cunning, evil, twisted witch Aphrodite was.

I don't know whether I'll be reading Descent, the next book in this series, because Destroyed was a let down. Maybe I'll try it. Hopefully, it'll live up to the standard of Deceived.

Final reaction:
It was okay...I suppose.
Final rating:

2 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    Sorry this one didn't do it for you. I sure do appreciate you're review. Your meme was too funny. :)

    I appreciate you big time!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being a good sport! :)

    ReplyDelete