Review: Eve by Anna Carey

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?After a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a terrifying place.Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a bright future in The New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. But when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

I didn't love this book nearly as much as I would have liked to. I got it on a whim, which shows you the dangers of being an impulsive buyer. Sometimes you end up with books that don't really satisfy you. 
Firstly, Eve, the main characters, is very annoying. VERY annoying. This was new to me because I can usually relate to the main character. But Eve is just simply irritating. Most of the time she acts like a Mary Sue and makes the silliest, most thoughtless decisions. I just don't understand the reason why the book is about her and not Arden.
May I just say I love Arden? This girl is probably the reason I kept on reading. Unlike Eve, Arden is actually an interesting, multi-dimensional character. Arden is the one who decided to run away. Arden helped Eve survive. In fact, Arden was the one who provided me entertainment while reading. Eve wouldn't have even uncovered the School's secret if Arden hadn't told her. So why one Earth is this book centered around pathetic, annoying, boring Eve? I just don't understand. Arden was probably the book's best redeeming feature.
The plot was pretty boring and almost predictable. There was nothing in it that I didn't see coming, except maybe that little fact about Califia. I didn't feel that the conflict was deep enough and Caleb/Eve was just meh.
Who do I recommend it to?
If you're the type who falls in love with spunky secondary characters, then you may like this. But otherwise, I'd suggest giving it a miss. Trust me. I ignored the negative reviews on Amazon, and look where that got me.

  Final rating




3 comments:

  1. I completely agree!! I don't remember much about Eve, but I do remember that I really wanted to like it and I was left feeling disappointed.

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Eve more than most. I found her character annoying at times, constantly doing shiz that put everything at jeopardy. It was the end that sealed the deal for me though. That beautiful moment of selfless love on the bridge. I am often influenced by how a book makes me feel in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending wasn't that great for me, unfortunately! But I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete