Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Sunday, February 15, 2015
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.It wants the truth. 


Amazing. Simply amazing. Fantastically, beautifully, utterly amazing. That's what this book is. I picked this up at my library, and since I've been wanting to read Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking Trilogy really badly, I jumped at the chance to borrow this. I'm so glad I did. I loved it so much! Conor, the protagonist, is just so relatable. I don't even know where to begin with his character. The way he deals with what happens in his life makes your heart ache for him. And the monster. This may sound weird, but I adored the monster. Seriously. And if you read this, you will, too. The monster's stories were perfectly woven with Conor's one.

"Stories are wild creatures," the monster said. "When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?"

This story definitely wreaked havoc with my heart.

"Stories are important," the monster said. "They can be more important than anything. If they carry the truth."

Such a hard truth, this story tells. And so many beautiful quotes!

"Stories are the wildest things of all."

This story was wild, wild, wild.

"You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do."

Last one, promise. It's just that these lines just spoke to my heart. I cried when I read this. It was so tragic, yet with hope. 

Who do I recommend this to?
This book is Middle Grade fiction, but a person of any age can read it. Go on! Read it! I don't care if you're eighty. You'll love it.
Final rating:






I'm going to leave you with just one more quote. This one had tears trickling down my eyes. It's not a spoiler, but I included it as a teaser so that you will know that you absolutely must read it.

"And if one day,' she said, really crying now, 'you look back and you feel bad for being so angry, if you feel bad for being so angry at me that you couldn't even speak to me, then you have to know, Conor, you have to that is was okay. It was okay. That I knew. I know, okay? I know everything you need to tell me without you having to say it out loud."

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to pick this up! I read book one of the Chaos Walking books and I wasn't a huugee fan, but it was still quite enjoyable. A Monster Calls sounds really good, though!! Awesome review!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I can read Chaos Walking soon. The whole premise sounds so interesting!

      Delete