A Reread Review: Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand

Thursday, February 12, 2015
Everyone is exactly like me. There is no one like me.
Ven wrestles with these contradicting truths every day. A clone of wealthy eighteen-year-old Raven Rogen, Ven knows everything about the girl she was created to serve: the clothes she wears, the boys she loves, the friends she loves to hate. Yet she’s never met the Authentic Raven face-to-face.
Imitations like Ven only get to leave the lab when they’re needed—to replace a dead Authentic, donate an organ, or complete a specific mission. And Raven has never needed Ven . . . until now.
When there is an attack on Raven’s life, Ven is thrust into the real world, posing as Raven to draw out the people who tried to harm her. But as Ven dives deeper into Raven’s world, she begins to question everything she was ever told. She exists for Raven, but is she prepared to sacrifice herself for a girl she’s never met?

 So...my very first re-read review. I know I wanted to read The Hunger Games first, but since I got a review copy of Deviation (the second installment), I thought I'd better review this before going into that. Anyway, here goes...

WHEN  I first read
The first time I read this was in December. I'd decided that the cover looked really cool and the blurb sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a go. I wasn't disappointed.

WHAT  I remember
I remember just loving the whole book. And Linc's motorcycle.

WHY  I wanted to reread
Like I said, I wanted to review this before going on to Deviation. Also, I had to catch up on the thing's I might have forgotten.

HOW  I felt after rereading
Yep. Still loved it.

WOULD I reread again?
Hmm... maybe if I have the time.

Now for a proper review:
My first thought upon reading the blurb was, OMG, clones? Count me in! I love science fiction, and clones just SCREAM it out.
So, Ven, a clone of a girl named Raven, lives inside Twig City, which is basically where all the clones live. That is, until, Ven is called to replace Raven and act like her to draw out the people trying to kill the real Raven.
I just loved Ven's character. She struggles to fit into her role as Raven. This isn't easy, because Ven is not like Raven at all, at least, not on the inside. Ven is a really beautiful person, and it hurt me and angered me that she had to behave like a spoilt, arrogant, shallow girl who is the complete opposite of her. My soul cried out to her.
And then there's Linc, Oh, my goodness, LINC. I'm trying to get my inner fangirl under control right now. *fans myself* He's the strong, silent type who stand in a corner and broods while doing his job as a guard at the same time. He's the kind of person who, although doesn't say much, observes a heck of a lot. The way he saw through Ven's act as Raven almost had me swooning!
The writing style was engaging and emotional, but not sappy. Oooh, and the plot kept getting better with every page I turned! Seriously. The new changes that are introduced and the twists that were unexpectedly thrown in kept me in suspense. Imitation is one of those books that are so good, you're absorbed into the story. You feel what the characters feel, their pain, their joy, their terror. This book was amazing.
Who do I recommend this to?
Clones are the new hot! Everyone should read this book, especially sci-fi lovers!
Final Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ranu! Nice review. I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check my post here. :)

    Danna @ A Reading Habit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a book like this before but I can't remember the title! It's driving me crazy! I remember not loving that book though. I hope this book won't be much of a letdown like the one I've read. :/

    ReplyDelete