Review - Learning to Live by Kira Adams

Sunday, January 18, 2015
Ciera Nelson wants what any other outcast wants, invisibility. If she can just make it through the rest of her year with minor incidents and a head held low she will be able to put the hell hole they call school in her rearview. Unfortunately, life has different plans for her. 
Topher Carlson is one of the biggest jocks on campus. All the guys want to be him, all the girls want to claim him. When secrets are uncovered, Topher’s life spins wildly out of control. 
They are far from friends when the school year begins, but each will impact the other’s life in ways they never dreamed possible. Can Ciera help Topher realize that popularity and status mean nothing in the real world? Can Topher help Ciera learn the true meaning of living? 
Sometimes you have to let go to really live. Sometimes being alive means taking risks. 
Summary courtesy of Amazon

I am usually a bit wary of contemporary romance because most books I have read in that genre are a bit disappointing. Not so with Learning To Live. It is one of the few books of the genre which I can freely say captivated me from beginning to end.
The characters in this book are amazing. Ciera is a wonderful, forgiving, selfless person and I loved her straight away. I can't say I loved Topher right from the start because that would be bare-faced lying, but as his character progressed throughout the book, he became more and more relatable, which I think was the author's intention. Well done, Ms Adams! You write beautiful characters.
I don't want to spoil the book, so all I'll say is about the ending is that it was incredibly sad. A less tough-skinned person than myself might have cried.
On completely different note, can I comment on the cover? It's not a bad cover, but I don't see how it's at all relevant to the book. Maybe I missed something, I don't know. 
Also, I noticed some similarities between this book and The Fault in Our Stars. I know this irritates some readers, so be warned. I myself encourage authors to be as original as possible, and it's pity that a couple of aspects of Learning To Live reflected TFioS, but I am willing to overlook that one shortcoming because the rest of the book was so wonderful!
Who would I recommend this to?
This is a beautiful, sad and uplifting contemporary romance, and if you are into that genre and 'ugly cry' novels, then give this a try.
Final rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment